Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Frustration

For the record.  I am on board with any technological changes that come our way.  It is the future of education and I will be involved in the education system for another 25-30 years.  I have to be on board with it. 

However, today was frustrating.

The majority of my lesson today involved the kids using technology.  Laptops, mobile devices, and websites. 

There were problems.

Problems with websites.

Problems with email.

Problems with computers.

Phone calls to tech support of various websites, on hold much of the time.  When I finally get an actual person...she transfers me.  Voice-mail.  Lovely.

This wouldn't be a huge problem, if it didn't involve a very large assignment that all has to be done on the web and emailed to me.  So, yeah...kind of a big problem.

Thankfully we have wonderful tech support at Cheney who is working on solving these problems. 

In the mean time, I have some thinking to do.

I can cancel the assignment, but what about the students who are already finished AND have the extra credit done?  What about the students who WANT to do the assignment because it is a good way for them to raise their grades?  What about the students who struggle to get things done even when there's time in class, and now that has even been jeopardized? 

Lots and lots of thinking... 

Not how I wanted my Wednesday to go.