Friday, December 7, 2012

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em

Teachers and schools around the country have been fighting a battle over the last 10 years.  The battle of students and technology.  As technology has increased, schools have been forced to evaluate their policies on mobile devices within the school walls.  Most schools started with a heavy ban on all electronic devices within the building.  Myself included.  I didn't want those interrupting my class or being used for high-tech cheating.

7 years into the fight (and my teaching career) and I am holding up my white flag.

I surrender.

I can't beat it, and the more I tried to fight it, the more I learned about it.

Uh oh... I just said "learned."

There it is.  The reason why I chose teaching.  To get students to learn. 

So, I am changing my attitude.  A complete 180 degree turn. 

Yesterday, during my planning period, I spent 45 minutes collaborating with a 13-year-old student.  We were trying to figure out how to make my assignments on Edmodo work with the iPads. 

I collaborated with a student.  That thought still amazes me.  Education is changing so my teaching must change with it.  Gone are the days of hour after hour of teacher lecture and explanation.  The classroom of today is one of collaboration.

Between all ages.