Saturday, September 17, 2022

Student Voices, Reflection, and Making Changes

This school year in an effort to build more of a community classroom, I started having short, simple conversations with small groups on Fridays. We call this Community Circles. This post is not about Community Circles. This post is about reflecting on student voices...and how many times, they're right. 

SCENE: Last Friday, during our Community Circle discussion students were talking about this prompt.

I love it when a teacher...

I hate it when a teacher... 

I always participate in these conversations and I joined one team of boys. They were talking about how they hate it when teachers assign homework at the end of the hour, they love it when teachers have energy and they can feed off then energy. They love it when teachers share about their lives outside of school.

And then one student, looks me dead in the eyes, and says "I hate it when teachers make us do unnecessary worksheets." And to make sure I got the point (I already had...) he nods right at me, refusing to break eye contact. 

I get it. You think I do too many worksheets. 

Ooof! 

I explained at that time, that everything I have them do in class has a purpose. Even the worksheets. While they may not see the purpose immediately...I do. 

Still. It sat with me. 

Do I really make sure each paper I give the class to complete has a distinct purpose or do I sometimes fall back on what's easy for me to do. 

Most of the time I am very intentional with what I have them do, but sometimes it is just easier to have them fill out the worksheet. 

Truth is. I can do better. 

Now I sit here, reworking my lesson for Monday. Probably one of my favorite lessons of the year, because that worksheet that goes with it isn't necessary. I can get students to pull the same information through different methods. I can assess their ability to pull all the pieces together and answer our big question through a Google Form at the conclusion of the lesson, and I can do it all without having to make copies in the morning.

Real-time reflection and action.

Teachers. When you're lucky enough to get a student who is willing to provide constructive criticism, to your face, in the right context and in a respectful way consider their words. And if possible show them you get it. Show them you hear it. Because, truth is, if they trust you enough to tell you, there's a level of respect there that deserves to be returned.